Published on March 11th, 2013 | by Tonberry King
Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion Internal Sound Card
Creative has once again teamed up with pro gamer Fatal1ty to develop the high end Champion Series Recon3D internal PCIe internal sound card.
Unpacking The Champion
So what are you getting in the box? You’ll find the Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion PCIe sound card, Sound Blaster Beamforming Microphone for high quality recording, installation CD with drivers and software, and the Sound Blaster I/O Drive (front faceplate) that grants you mic and volume dials, and a few ports that you can access from the front of your rig.
Sound Card Connectivity
The included I/O drive allows easy access to headphones and quick access to audio-in ports and volume/mic dials. Backend ports include:
- 2 Dedicated headphones out
- 2 Dedicated recording line in (for microphones or portable music players)
- 3 Dedicated line out ports for 5.1 surround systems
- Optical in (for music players/game systems)
- Optical out (for AV receivers/decoders)
For additional convenience, the I/O drive contains three buttons that allow you to switch the THX technology on and off as well as choose between speakers and headphones. Unlike other internal sound cards that require software interactions to switch from headphones to speakers, the front panel will automatically switch to your headphones once you plug them in.
Other I/O drive features include two knobs that control mic and speaker volume. These buttons can be pushed down making them flush with your rig. By default, the front panel mic input will not work unless you go into the Sound Blaster control panel and enable it.
Internal Sound Card Features
THX certified, this card comes loaded with various sound technologies that can be tweaked after installing the included drivers. It’s powered with Creative’s Sound Core3D, a high performance sound and voice processor that offloads THX TruStudio Pro and CrystalVoice effects with processing help from your primary CPU. This internal card includes built in ram. Additional features include:
- CrystalVoice – audio processing tools work with your microphone to eliminate background noise and allow you to distort and morph your voice
- Scout Mode – proprietary technology that allows you to hear your enemies from further away, great for FPS games
- Dedicated headphone amplifier – supports studio quality headphones with up to 600 ohm impedance
- PCIe Control Panel Software – customize every aspect of your speaker and microphone settings
- View warranty info
Keep in mind you need high end components (home theater receivers, multimedia speakers, microphones, headphones, etc.) to truly appreciate the features of this beastly internal sound card. This internal sound card has a very large focus on gaming and movie watching. If you want a sound card geared more toward music, you may want to check out the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Internal Sound Card. If you have high end audio components and you want to get even more out of them, this is a great contender for gaming enthusiasts.
Summary: This high end internal sound card is great if you want to connect an A/V receiver, a 5.1 or 7.1 multimedia speaker set, or record high quality audio. If you are looking for a simple headphone or microphone amplifier there are cheaper options